Monday, August 10, 2009

To Know Him More

Yesterday morning's worship service began with a hymn I was not familiar with, and the first lines of the piece brought me to tears:

We have not known You as we ought
Nor bowed before Your pow’r

I was immediately convicted of sin, not necessarily something committed, but omitted as my great- aunt, Pig, used to say. "I look back over my life and it is full of sin; not so much of commission, but of omission. Don't let that happen to you." She said that to me when I was young mom of one little baby, and I thought I had taken her words to heart. I thought I was busy about God's work, serving others. I'm not implying that I am not also guilty of sins of commission, just that her words motivated me to be on the lookout for what I needed to be doing, and not leave those things undone. And then these two lines revealed the truth: I've been a Martha. Busy, but not with that which is necessary.

-And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving.- Luke 10:39

Lord, forgive me. I do so want to know you more.

No comments: